Why Willock and Bellerin could be crucial for Pepe's rise: explained in 6 brief sentences
Paininthearsenal's expert Andrew Dowdeswell dwells on Pepe's struggles and how Emery might solve them.
- Nicolas Pepe's yet to score a single goal from an open play so far - he's only converted a penalty and added 2 assists to his tally after Premier League 8 games.
- The Ivorian is a skilfull dribbler and boasts explosive pace but he lacks space in the final third to break through opposition rearguard.
- Defenders have more confidence when facing Pepe in tight areas nullifying his traits and forcing him to play backward passes or taking too much risk attempting to dribble past 2 or 3 footballers.
- Both Willock and Bellerin are both very mobile players and could create the required space by making runs in behind dragging away one of the defenders out of his position.
- It will let the Ivorian be more efficient driving forward with the ball at his feet.
- Thus, dynamism off the ball from teammates could unlock Pepe's potential.