- Ligue 1 had to cancel its campaign after France put a ban on all football events till September.
- The French Professional Football League (LFP) have now awarded PSG the league title as they were league leaders when the season was suspended.
- Marseille and Rennes also qualify for next season’s UEFA Champions League.
- Amiens and Toulouse are relegated as they sat at the last positions before season suspension.
- Should La Liga follow the same scenario, it's Barca who would be announced champions.
The French Professional Football League (LFP) have formally announced Paris Saint Germain as the champions of the 2019/20 Ligue 1 season.
This comes after the campaign had to be cancelled due to France’s government making an order barring any football – even those behind-closed-doors – from taking place in the country till September as it battles the coronavirus outbreak.
Unfortunately, Toulouse and Amiens have been relegated as they were at the last places before tragedy struck. The LFP has also formally announced FC Lorient as Ligue 2 champions for the season, as they and RC Lens will be promoted into the top division next season.
LFP CEO Didier Quillot is quoted by Get Football French News on saying: “We were genuinely ready to finish the season like the Germans & Spanish, but there were government decisions made which we respect.”
This is the first time a league body decided to announce their champions, relegated teams and those to qualify for Europe after Eredivise had to completely null and void their campaign.
La Liga, however, still have plans on resuming their season mid-June, according to the league president Javier Tebas.
Should La Liga follow their Frech counterpart's example, Barcelona would, of course, be announced champions, with Real Madrid, Sevilla and Real Sociedad qualifying for the Champions League. Mallorca, Leganes and Barca city rivals Espanyol would be relegated in that scenario.
Overall, there are now three possible scenarios for Spanish football authorities:
- Complete the season playing all games behind closed doors (champion: most likely to be decided between Barcelona or Real Madrid).
- End the season and decide the champion based on current standings (champion: Barcelona).
- End the season by announcing it null and void (champion: no one).
Do you think La Liga should make a similar decision as Ligue 1 did? Let us know in the comments below.