Coutinho example: Barca advised against signing Griezmann
- Former Barcelona president candidate Josep Maria Minguella says the club shouldn't sigh Antoine Griezmann.
- He reckons the Frenchman played both Barcelona (in 2018) and Atletico Madrid (in 2019).
- Minguella also doubts Griezmann's suitability for the Barca system that includes Leo Messi.
- He claims that Messi being an undisputed leader didn't allow Coutinho to fully show himself at the Camp Nou
- Finally, the forward is already 28 years old and Barcelona might end up with a 'weary and old' squad.
"I wouldn't sign Griezmann for two reasons," Minguella said, as cited by Marca. "Firstly, he has teased his club, agreed to move to Barcelona and, when the moment to sign arrives, he backtracks, shoots a video and leaves the [Barcelona] president and whoever was involved in agreeing the deal with egg on their faces.
"Then he returns to his original club and puts pressure on Atletico to improve his contract significantly. It is a great prejudice, not only for the [contract] increase, but for his teammates. After not shining in the past season there, he's now said that he's leaving and making use of the [release] clause.
"Then he negotiates with Barcelona or another team. This guy wouldn't get in my Barcelona because of his behaviour.
"Secondly, he's an excellent player when he's playing behind [Olivier] Giroud or [Diego] Costa, where he has more space. Leo Messi plays in this position at Barcelona and bringing in a similar player at a great cost to put him in a position that he isn't used to is a lesson that Barcelona must've learned from [Philippe] Coutinho."
"In the end, we're going to have a team that is weary and old," he added. "I'm not going against Barcelona, I'm going against those that are harming them."
Do you agree with this opinion?