De Jong debuts in style & more: Chelsea defeat explained in 5 key one-liners
Barcelona started their 2019 summer pre-season with a disappointing 2-1 defeat to Chelsea. Tribuna.com explain what went wrong and how it all happened.
- Ernesto Valverde get the starting XI wrong: it was a mixture of the last season's regulars, promising but inexperienced La Masia youngsters and €120m summer signing Antoine Griezmann.
- Moreover, the coach chose the 4-4-2 formation which didn't suit most players: Ousmane Dembele and Griezmann would have felt more comfortable in the 4-3-3 system.
- In fact, the reserve and youth players had a much better outing than the veterans: both Riqui Puig and Rafinha excelled in midfield and attack respectively.
- Frenkie de Jong entered the pitch after the break and proved his true worth: he completed all 42 passes he attempted.
- As for Sergio Busquets, he had a day to forget: the Spaniard was to blame for Chelsea's opener as his poor pass was intercepted by the opponents.
WATCH ALSO: Barcelona 1-2 Chelsea, highlights