Remember him? Barcelona flop Douglas officially signs with Besiktas
- Barcelona signed Douglas back in 2014.
- After five years at Barca, which included three loans spells, Douglas' contract expired this summer.
- The right-back signed with Besiktas as a free agent.
Douglas Pereira has officially become a Besiktas player. The Brazilian been one of the most controversial transfers in Barcelona's recent history. The right-back arrived from Sao Paolo back in 2014, as then-coach Luis Enrique asked the club to bring in a replacement for Dani Alves.
The Catalans paid €4m for the transfer with Douglas signing a five-year deal. At the time, the Brazil media were astonished by the transfer as they deemed Douglas not good enough to succeed at Camp Nou. And it turns out, they were right from the start.
During his five years as a Barcelona player, the Brazilian spent only two seasons with the team and made only eight appearances. Later followed three loan spells:
- Sporting Gijon (23 games, 3 goals)
- Benfica (10 games)
- Sivasspor (32 games, 3 goals, 7 assists)
Despite his fairly good season in Turkey, Barcelona didn't even consider renewing the full-back. As a result, Douglas ended up signing a three-year contract with Besiktas as a free agent.
So, do you still remember Douglas?