Why Barca should get more players like Carles Perez and less like Boateng: 6 one-liners
Last winter, Barcelona signed Kevin-Prince Boateng and many considered the transfer to be against club's philosophy of trusting the academy. However, Marca's Alberto Rubio believes Barca are once again on the right path, and Carles Perez is a good indication:
- Last January, Barca loaned Boateng form Sassuolo as Luis Suarez needed a back-up, but the Ghanian ended up playing only a handful of games.
- During the pre-season, Ernesto Valverde has put his trust in the youngsters, giving numerous chances to Riqui Puig, Abel Ruiz and Carles Perez.
- The latter has put in an impressive performance against Vissel Kobe scoring both goals in the 2-0 win.
- Perez helped Barca win the 2017-18 Youth Champions League by contributing with seven goals and in the 2019-19 season, Carles became the tournament's top goalscorer with nine goals.
- Back when Pep Guardiola took over Barcelona, the manager decided to put his trust in Pedro and Sergio Busquets from the B team who were barely known to the fans.