Messi's 'best goal ever' against Betis nominated for Puskas award
- FIFA reveal the names of ten candidates for the Puskas award for the most beautiful goal of the season.
- Messi's wonderful strike in the 4-1 away win against Real Betis has been chosen.
- Even the rival fans applauded the Argentinean after this golazo.
FIFA reveal ten candidates for the prestigious Puskas award which is given to the author of the most beautiful goal scored during the season. Lionel Messi is one of the nominees. His incredible goal in the 4-1 Real Betis away win has been chosen as one of the best.
This game dates back to March 16. Messi scored a hattrick against the Seville-based side. The last one was the most special. Even Real Betis fans appreciated the masterpiece and gave Messi a standing ovation.
Here you have a closer look and study all the details of Messi's goal, as provided by Tribuna.com
• Leo sets up the whole thing himself. He finds the ball on the edge of the penalty box after a corner and detects Ivan Rakitic who is left completely unguarded on the left wing.
• Messi finds the Croatian midfielder with a pass and already knows that he is going to receive it back and comes up with a cheeky lob that was an absolute surprise for Betis's defenders and goalkeeper.
• By the way, Pau Lopez is 6.2 ft tall but Messi managed to chip him from the edge of the box. Just wow.
• The shot itself was inch-perfect having just enough height to leave no chances for Lopez but still go in under the bar. The goalie's stretch and a little dink off the woodwork only added a bit more elegance to the goal.
• The reaction of both Barca and Betis players: priceless.
Here are Messi's rivals for the Puskas award: Matheus Cunha, Juan Fernando Quintero, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ajara Nchout, Fabio Quagliarella, Amy Rodriguez, Billie Simpson, Andros Townsend, Daniel Zsori.