8 mind-blowing facts about the world of Messi & Ronaldo first FIFA nomination times
- In 2007, Cristiano & Leo were nominated for football's most prestigious individual award for the first time.
- Kaka beat both to the accolade - the modern game's icons have won 5 trophies each ever since.
- 12 years later, the two are still fighting for the FIFA World Player of the Year.
- FIFA have recalled what life looked like back in the days.
Back in 2007, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo - undisputedly the greatest footballers of the recent times - were nominated for the FIFA's annual awards for the first time.
The 20-year-old Argentine and the 22-year-old Portuguese were 2nd and 3rd respectively in the running for the FIFA World Player of the Year - only behind AC Milan and Brazil superstar Kaka who was head and shoulders above any other player that year indeed.
Messi and Ronaldo have been fighting for the accolade each year ever since and have shared 10 of the game's most prestigious individual award - each has five of them.
As the modern-football legends are going to contend the prize yet again 12 tears later, it's quite curious to remember what the world was like when Leo and Cristiano started their way to the top:
- WhatsApp and Instagram, two of the most popular messengers/social media platforms, didn’t exist.
- FIFA World Ranking leaders Belgium were 49th.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the last part of J.K. Rowling’s series of fantasy novels, became the fastest-selling fiction book of all time.
- The late Steve Jobs unveiled the very first Apple iPhone - the device that changed the market.
- Premier League champion, Leicester and England striker Jamie Vardy, who was 20 at the time, was working in a factory and getting paid additional £30-per-week playing in the English football's 8th tier.
- Lyon, Inter Milan and Stuttgart were the reigning champions of France, Italy and Germany. The former Bundesliga champions are currently playing in Germany's second tier.
- Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo and Hernan Crespo were the three most-expensive players in history.
- Jamaican athlete Asafa Powell was the world record-holder for the 100-metre dash. The year after, unbelievable Usain Bolt did the impossible and set the stopwatch at 9.572. 10 years have passed - nobody has managed to outrun Lightning Bolt.