Messi to leave Barcelona? 6 things you need to know about Leo's reported potential exit in summer 2020
Exact conditions of the agreement between Barca and the player, his potential destination and possible replacements.
What are the major facts of the story? Tribuna.com explains.
1. Messi has a contract option that allows him to leave Barca on June 30 of every year.
2. Leo can leave the club for free but only if he doesn’t join another European side. It means that Messi can move to his childhood club Newell's Old Boys after any given season.
3. The reason behind such an option in Messi’s deal is believed to be the mutual trust between the player and the club.
Barca know that the Argentine will stay at the club until he feels that he is good enough to play at the highest level. At the same time, Messi doesn’t feel ‘tied down’ and can decide his own fate.
4. Gerard Pique is unfazed by Messi being able to leave at the end of the season.
"We all know the commitment Leo has to Barca and it doesn't worry me at all," the defender says.
5. Moreover, Barca have plans to offer Messi a new contract that would run until 2023. The negotiations are set to start in late 2019 or early 2020. Leo's current deal expires in 2021.
6. Barcelona have several players who could become the club's leaders even if Leo decides to leave the Camp Nou sooner than expected. Antoine Griezmann, Ousmane Dembele, and who knows, maybe Ansu Fati can grow into new icons of Barcelona.
What do you think is going to happen with Barca when Messi leaves?