Ernesto Valverde claims Griezmann-Messi problem is 'easier than it seems'
- Messi ard Griezmann lack the connection on the pitch.
- The duo rarely passes to each other.
- However, Valverde reckons that Barca fans shouldn't worry: Griezmann seeply has to get used to Barca playing style.
- After all, Neymar also needed time to adapt whe he joined the Catalans, Barca boss concludes.
Leo Messi and Antoine Griezmann are yet to find understanding on the pitch as the duo remain largely disconnected parts of Barcelona's attack, barely passing to each other.
Barca boss Ernesto Valverde isn't too concerned about the fact, however. Valverde insists that the Frenchman simply needs time to adapt to the Catalans' style of play.
"There is a lot of talk about the connection between Messi and Griezmann but it's all easier than it seems," Valverde assured the media at the pre-Celta press conference. "Griezmann has to get used to playing at Barca, as Neymar had to in his first year.
"Griezmann is used to a different kind of football. At Simeone’s side the players drop back very quickly, as soon as they lose the ball. Look at Koke, look at Saul, they come straight back when they don’t have the ball. That’s the way they play. But here we play a different, short passing game. He still needs to mature into the way we play."
Messi and Griezmann are indeed struggling to form a link between each other and the stats prove that:
- The duo made only 4 passes to each other, 3 of which were made by Messi.
- The pair has managed to complete 18 passes in 4 Champions League matches.
- This is in stark contrast with Leo-Suarez duo, who have shared the ball 32 times in 3 Champions League games.
- Ousmane Dembele is a better partner for Messi, he exchanged 18 passes with the Argentine.
It's becoming increasingly clear that both Messi and Griezmann need to work out mutual understanding to stop the flow of negative remarks and whistles observed during Slavia stalemate.
Antoine always wanted to matter at his new team but for now he doesn't seem to be able to:
Griezmann is yet to rediscover his best form at Camp Nou following a €120m summer move from Atletico Madrid. The Frenchman has made 10 La Liga appearances for the Catalans, scoring 4 goals and providing 3 assists. The 28-year-old has neither scored nor assisted in 4 Champions League games so far.