Rafa Benitez left Liverpool over a decade ago, after a disappointing 2009/10 season.
The club's poor financial health due to the actions of owners Gillett and Hicks took over the conversation that season as Liverpool failed to capitalize on the title charge from 2008/09.
Liverpool stumbled to a 7th-place finish in the league as players such as Javier Mascherano and Fernando Torres angled for moves away from the club.
A decade has passed since that fateful season and clearly a lot has happened since then.
However, a few Reds from the squad in 2009/10 are still actively playing professional football:
- Daniel Ayala, Jack Robinson, and Martin Kelly were youngsters back in 2010 but have forged decent careers at Blackburn Rovers, Sheffield United, and Crystal Palace respectively.
- Emiliano Insua played a big role from left-back in the 09/10 season and currently plays in the USA for LA Galaxy.
- Meanwhile, Martin Skrtel recently had to cancel his contract with Turkish side Istanbul Basaksehir after suffering a terrible injury.
- Maxi Rodriguez is currently going strong in his 3rd stint for his boyhood club Newell's Old Boys.
- After spending last season on loan at Ajax, the 34-year-old Ryan Babel is now back at Galatasaray, his parent club.
- Finally, Nabil El Zhar is playing for Qatari club Al Ahli SC while Dani Pacheco is without a club after leaving 2nd division Spanish team Malaga in October 2020.
- Benitez left Liverpool after 2009/10 - a below-par season that saw him openly arguing with the owners.
- The Spaniard has since managed 2 clubs in England, Chelsea and Newcastle, but is currently leading Chinese club Dalian Professional.
Which of these players was your favourite when they played for Liverpool Comment below!
Left WhatsApp for Telegram? Good. Here’s our favourite channel with top football stories in the world.