- Zidane has never lost a final as Real Madrid coach.
- His achievement of winning 9 out of 9 finals with Los Blancos is unique in football.
- The closest is former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola who won 8 of his first 9 finals.
- The Frenchman refuses to take credit for this incredible record, praising his staff and the players.
With the Supercopa triumph against Atletico, Zinedine Zidane has solidified his status as the one and only invincible manager.
According to sports data expert Alexis Martin-Tamayo, better known as MisterChip, Zidane's record of 9 out of 9 finals won as Real Madrid’s manager is unprecedented in football’s history. The closest is former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola who won 8 of his first 9 finals.
This is how the list of Zidane's achievements looks after he led Real Madrid to the victory over Atletico Madrid on penalties in the Supercopa final:
- The Champions League final, Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool.
- The Spanish Super Cup final, Real Madrid 4-1 Atletico Madrid (on penalties).
Overall, Real Madrid boss won ten trophies with Los Blancos, with 2016/17 La Liga title adding up to aforementioned cup competitions. Unfortunately, Zidane is yet to win Copa del Rey at the helm of the club.
Moreover, it's the second time Zidane defeats Atletico in the title decider: in his very first final as Real Madrid coach in 2016, Los Blancos won 5-3 against their city rivals in the Champions League final penalty shootout.
Despite his truly incredible record with Los Blancos, the Frenchman remains humble giving all credit for the achievements to his players and staff.
"I've always given my all, but the players are to be congratulated because we won thanks to them, Zidane said in the post-final press conference.
"That's the DNA of this club and what interests me is giving my all and believing in what we do. With hard work and humility, we can achieve big things.
"There are a lot of people [staff] behind it who work very well, are competent and give their all for this shirt. [Mariano?] I'm counting on all the players I have at my disposal. Then I must choose. Mariano's situation is not going to change."
How many more trophies do you back Zidane to win with Real Madrid?