- The UNGC encourages businesses all over the world to conduct their work in accordance with 10 basic principles.
- They cover such areas as human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption measures.
Real Madrid have become the first football club to participate in the United Nations Global Compact initiative.
The UNGC is a non-binding pact that encourages businesses to express commitment to 10 principles laid out by the pact. The principles are the following.
1. Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
2. Make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
3. Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
4. The elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
5. The effective abolition of child labour; and
6. The elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
7. Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
8. Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
9. Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
10. Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
As you may have guessed, all of these principles are of great importance nowadays and it's amazing that we have become the first club to officially follow these recommendations. Other clubs are likely to follow our example.