Marca leave Cristiano and Messi behind Rafael Nadal in decade's top sportsperson ranking
- Marca readers have picked their sportsman of the decade.
- Almost 160.000 people took part in the poll.
- They left Leo Messi behind Rafael Nadal in the final poll.
- The Spanish tennis player won the poll with 62 per cent of the votes.
- Nadal also beat Ronaldo in the quarter-final prior to that.
This has been underlined by the Spanish outlet Marca which held a knockout voting contest earlier in December.
Almost 160.000 voters took part in the poll which saw Rafael Nadal winning the final with 62% compared to Messi's 38%.
Legendary tennis player defeated Ronaldo in the quarter-final, then progressing to the semifinal where he was chosen ahead of another tennis legend, Roger Federer.
Here's how the K.O. rounds looked like:
In 2019, Rafael Nadal won three major tennis tournaments: Roland Garros, the US Open and the Davis Cup. Besides, he regained his No.1 in the world spot.
The most important thing is, of course, that in the end, it was a victory for Real Madrid against Barcelona: Rafa is a well-known fan of Los Blancos.
"This Madrid has given me a new lease on life after a difficult last year," recently admitted Nadal. So we can take at least some credit for his excellent performances, can't we?